Pontianak State Polytechnic (Polnep) is a professional higher Education institution which focuses on the mastery of and the development of science and technology to promote industrialization era. In general, educational system in polytechnic has features as follows:
- It is a higher education which has a competence based curriculum.
- It is a professional education which emphasizes on the creation of competences in handling technological works based on standard procedures.
- The teaching of theory and practice is conducted to strengthen reasoning and skills in handling practical matters. The teaching of theory emphasizes on directly linking basic concepts with real-life cases through a method of practical problem solving. Meanwhile, the teaching of practice focuses on the development of adeptness in integrating theory with real process in producing finished product.
Polnep has 234 teaching staff consisting of lecturers and instructors who have received a comprehensive training about education in polytechnic from both domestic and overseas institutions.
- The Department of Civil Engineering and Planning. It has three study programs: Diploma III of Civil Engineering, Diploma III of Architecture Engineering and Diploma IV of Housing and Settlement Engineering (*).
- The Department of Mechanical Engineering. It has two study programs: Diploma III of Mechanical Engineering and Diploma I of Heavy Equipment Operator (*).
- The Department of Electronic Engineering. It has three study programs: Diploma III of Electrical Engineering, Diploma III of Electronic Engineering and Diploma III of Informatics Engineering.
- The Department of Business Administration. It has two study programs: Diploma III of Business Administration and Diploma IV of Governmental Agencies Administration (*).
- The Department of Accounting. It has two study programs: Diploma III of Accounting and Diploma IV of Public Sector Accounting (*).
- The Department of Agricultural Technology. Its study program is Technology of Plantation Product Processing.
- The Department of Marine and Fisheries Science. It has three study programs: Diploma III of Technology of Fish Cultivation, Diploma III of Fishing Technology and Diploma III of Technology of Fish Processing.
Most of the study programs above have been accredited except those with asterisk (*) which are in the process of accreditation.
- Internet Access : Polnep provides 24-hour internet access which is managed by Information Technology Unit (UPT TI) for all its civitas academica. This service includes intranet and internet which is also available for wireless access through Hot Spot installed in some areas of Polnep. Besides, Polnep also has an internet café (P-Net) of 18 Unit computers which are available for students’ use from 08.00 – 24.00 to support students’ study.
- Laboratories and Workshops of Civil Engineering : Every study program has at least one Laboratory and/or Workshop.
- Library : Polnep’s library is located at the south of directorate building. Currently, the library has a collection of 15249 copies of book which consist of 6401 titles. The collection is provided as literatures for various departments in Polnep. The library is connected to local network which allows all civitas academica of Polnep to access information about the administration of borrowing and returning books in the library.
- Polyclinic : In order to provide a health service for all civitas academica, Polnep operates a Polyclinic which is under responsibility of a doctor assigned by Polnep. Polnep also makes a mutual cooperation with an insurance company to provide insurance for the students who have accident or who pass away. The students are required to pay insurance premium in respect of the applicable provisions. Doctor service is available on weekdays from 15.00- 17.00 and other services are available from 08.00- 12.00.
- Sport Fields : To maintain body fitness, Polnep provides sport fields such as foot ball field, volley ball court and basketball court that can be used by all civitas academica.
- Parking Area : Parking area for students and academic staff is provided at a designated place. Everyone has a responsibility to maintain the security of the premise which has been equipped by CCTV